In the past decade, yogurt in the United States has really hit it big. Now that we all have that tub of yogurt in the fridge, what to do with it? Good news, we have three recipes that use yogurt in all sorts of savory ways. Ottolenghi’s charred tomatoes are an unexpected and stellar pairing with salted yogurt. Pasta is included, of course, in a vegetarian dish with chickpeas, lentils and a yogurt sauce. Last we have a delicious yogurt marinade that was smoky and spicy, perfect for chicken kebabs. Not to say that a bowl of yogurt and granola doesn’t hit the spot, but this week we have a few alternatives.
Hot, Charred Cherry Tomatoes in Cold Yogurt, Garlicky Greek Yogurt Pasta with Sauteed Lentils and Chickpeas, and Smoky and Spicy Yogurt Marinated Chicken Kebabs
A warm and cool contrast of broiled tomatoes and tangy yogurt, we kept coming back for more. We made this dish when we reviewed Ottolenghi’s Simple, but just had to revisit it this week. Light dinner or even a snack, this is a can’t miss recipe.
- You could make the yogurt ahead but really the magic is in the fresh roasted tomatoes.
- We both tried this with grocery store tomatoes but imagine it would be amazing with ones from your garden.
- Serve with crunchy crusted sourdough bread or toast. Try not to fight over the last swoop of sauce.
Yogurt is a staple in our house which is why we found this pantry friendly dish. Just hearty enough for dinner, but light enough to not weigh you down. We liked the contrast in flavors and the depth of flavor from the browned onions.
- Make the lentils ahead of time to avoid a busy kitchen.
- Kate halved the recipe successfully.
Four ways for spice and three ways for smoky (if you include the grill) makes this chicken kebab recipe absolutely sing with flavor. Yogurt kept the meat tender and the spices kept the recipe from being ordinary. We were very happy to find these as leftovers.
- Make the full recipe, even for a small house. You’ll use these thighs all week.
- Serve as a lettuce wrap, with pita bread or top a salad.
From the Smorgasbord:
Check out Episode 58 for Burlap and Barrel’s Cilbir inspired eggs: fried eggs in a yogurt sauce with urfa chilis
Winner last week was Theresa M. Congratulations.
This week, as we grow our community, we are inviting you to join our newsletter list. All those who are on our list are entered in a drawing for Dorothy Kalin’s new book, The Kitchen Whisperers. Join here! Good luck!
(Link to book is for Amazon Affiliate. Thank you!)