All of us are in need of a vacation lately, it seems. Join us on a virtual trip to Jamaica with recipes that bring us right to the people, places, and culture of the island. We cooked another version of rice and beans, this time with coconut milk and allspice. Despite the steamy weather, we were also happy we tried brown stew chicken. We tried our hand at beef patties to round out the episode. A quintessential Jamaican street food brought home to our kitchen. While we would always prefer to lounge on the beach, a trip with food was a little vacation itself.
Jamaican Rice and Peas, Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe, and Brown Stew Chicken
If we have learned anything from this podcast, it is that you always need another rice and beans recipe. We loved this version, fragrant with coconut milk and cinnamon. Add another winner to the list.
- We didn’t have kidney beans in the house and used pinto instead. Worked just fine.
- The recipe notes are accurate: cooking time will vary based on your beans and rice. Taste as you go.
- We loved this on it’s own for dinner but would also be a delicious side for brown stew chicken.
Spiced ground beef all wrapped up in a curry flavored dough, ready to eat out of hand, sounded delicious to us. Beef Patties lived up to their promise. While we weren’t eating them on the beach (sigh), we sure did love the taste.
- Roll out the dough as thinly as possible for the lightest wrapper.
- Scale the black pepper and scotch bonnet pepper to suit your family.
- These freeze well, bake from frozen and add 5-10 minutes to the cooking time.
Your whole kitchen will smell amazing as you cook this stew. Onions, bell peppers, and allspice warm this braised chicken dish all the way through. Make plenty of rice with this dish, you’ll want it to soak up every last bit of sauce.
- Brown the chicken well before the braise. This means a dark brown skin at fairly high heat.
- We could not find browning sauce but found the recipe to be delicious without it.
- Rice and peas are traditional accompaniments but we liked white rice just as well.