Cumin Rubbed Flank Steak, Chimichurri Potatoes, and Tex Mex Sheet Cake
The Dinner Sisters are octogenarians with our 80th episode! As per usual, we’re celebrating with a dinner party. All the recipes are from the Splendid Table website, a public radio show that’s been our inspiration for years. What better way to celebrate this milestone than steak and cake, which is also the name of Elizabeth’s Karmell’s cookbook. Her recipes for a flank steak, roasted potatoes, and sheet cake hit just the right note for a delicious celebration of 80 episodes.
Cumin-Rubbed Flank Steak: Elizabeth Karmell, The Splendid Table
Just right for throwing on the grill, a flank steak should be in your dinner party rotation. This steak has a quick rub of cumin and smoked paprika and minimal time on the grill.
- You can rub this steak up to 24 hours ahead of time and keep in the fridge until you grill.
- Make sure to salt your steak well! That’s where the flavor is…
- Use a timer and even a meat thermometer. Flank steaks grill up quickly.
- Rest for at least 15 minutes for a juicy steak.
Chimichurri Potatoes: Elizabeth Karmell, The Splendid Table
Dress up roast potatoes with a garlicky, tart, and fresh sauce for a whole lot of flavor with not a lot of effort. A tasty side for the rich steak - just make sure you don’t eat them up before your guests arrive.
- Use small, new potatoes if you can find them. Or halve or quarter bigger potatoes.
- For kids or folks who may not like a green sauce, just toss half or a few potatoes in the sauce. Do it while the potatoes are warm for maximum effect.
Tex- Mex Sheet Cake: Elizabeth Karmell, The Splendid Table
Cap off a steak house dinner with a moist chocolate cake. Bake it up in a jelly roll pan to serve a crowd. Or go full tilt towards decadent with coconut and walnut frosted German Chocolate Cake.
- The recipe called for a half sheet pan but we thought that might be a bit misleading. It makes for a pretty thin and easy to overbake cake. Instead, use a smaller jelly roll pan or bake in a 9 by 13 pan.
- Kate had good results in the 8 inch round pan and the German Chocolate Cake frosting.
From the Smorgasbord:
Our favorites from the last ten episodes:
[spreaker type=player resource="episode_id=19110342" width="100%" height="200px" theme="light" playlist="false" playlist-continuous="false" autoplay="false" live-autoplay="false" chapters-image="true" episode-image-position="right" hide-logo="false" hide-likes="false" hide-comments="false" hide-sharing="false" hide-download="true"]