Savory Peach Chicken, Buttered Tomatoes with Ginger, and SweetCorn Pancakes with Bacon
This time of year the farmers market makes us feel like we’re a kid in a candy store. Tomatoes, corn, peaches are all at their height and couldn't be more delicious. Make some summer cooking memories while the season lasts with Savory Peach Chicken by Ellie Krieger on the Food Network, Buttered Tomatoes with Ginger by Bon Appetit, and SweetCorn Pancakes with Bacon from Just a Taste.
Peach cobbler, peach pie, peach jam...the sweet list of peach recipes is goes on and on. Peaches can play nice with dinner dishes, too. This weeknight meal comes together quickly with ripe fruit, chicken breast, and a sauce with soy sauce, garlic, and ginger.
- A simple recipe means all your ingredients need to be the best you can find. (Just ask Kate, who used under-ripe peaches and regretted it.)
A ripe tomato in the middle of summer, what could be better? At the farmers market you can find every variety imaginable. But once you’ve had your fill of BLT’s and caprese salads, it’s time to find something a little different. Warm your tomatoes in ginger and butter and make that season last just a little longer.
- We made this with big heirloom tomatoes but it would be just as nice with halved cherry tomatoes. Just make sure they’re ripe and full of flavor.
- Both of us served the tomatoes with white rice but we can’t wait to try the other suggestions of sourdough toast or pasta.
Buy up that sweet corn from the farmers market while the season is here. First, make a big pile of simple corn on the cob and butter. Then make these pancakes. Nubbly with sweet corn, flavored with bacon and green onion, they’re a stellar way to feature the season’s best.
- Buy the thick cut bacon to really get a hit of flavor.
- Be warned- these pancakes take a little bit of time. Plan for it (but believe us, they’re worth it!).
- Add an egg and a green salad for a decadent breakfast for dinner.
- These make quite a few but freeze well.
From the Smorgasbord:
While we were on break we cooked from our favorite cookbooks and the archives. Check out what we made!
Betsy gave her cookbooks some love and made:
- Shaking Beef from Vietnamese Any Day
- flax bread from Alexandra’s Kitchen’s Bread, Toast, Crumb (Episode 68)
- Chicken Schwarma from Zaitoun (Episode 59)
She also made:
- Peach Cobbler with Hot Sugar Crust (Episode 23)
- Stone Fruit and Heirloom Tomato Basil Mozzarella Salad (Episode 22)
Kate reached back into the archives for some quick weeknight meals.
[spreaker type=player resource="episode_id=18851188" width="100%" height="200px" theme="light" playlist="false" playlist-continuous="false" autoplay="false" live-autoplay="false" chapters-image="true" episode-image-position="right" hide-logo="false" hide-likes="false" hide-comments="false" hide-sharing="false" hide-download="true"]