If your weeknight staples need a shake up, you’re bound to find some recipes this week. The Dinner Sisters try a new Macaroni and Cheese along with some salmon bowls and a new version of tacos. Quick pickles round out the week in our Smorgasbord.
This week we cooked…
Cacio e Pepe is uber trendy right now, which is understandable. Cheesy noodles and a pop of black pepper makes for delicious dinner. This recipe riffs on that concept with a stovetop macaroni and cheese.
- Toasting the black pepper might be overkill – we skipped this step and we couldn’t tell the difference.
- Keep adding the pasta water until the pasta goes from stringy- cheesy to kinda gloppy to nice and smooth. Amount will vary but save about a cup from the water before you drain the noodles.
Shake up your weekly salmon with a teriyaki salmon bowl with pineapple, cucumber salad and grilled zucchini. Served over short grain rice, this is a choose your own adventure of a weeknight meal.
- Making all the components is a little bit of prep but this might be a great recipe if you have little helpers to chop and slice. Or look for pre sliced veggies and pineapple at the store.
- Use your vegetable peeler to make the cucumber ribbons.
- The teriyaki sauce was good but feel free to substitute a good store brand. The fun in this dish is all the components.
Who doesn’t like a taco? Smitten Kitchen works her magic again with a sweet potato taco that includes refried black beans and a host of toppings. Make her pickled onions if you want a special treat.
- Reheat your tortillas in a skillet for extra flavor.
- Smitten Kitchen’s Pickled Onions are almost a necessity.
From the Smorgasbord:
We talked about pickles! Here are some sources for the pickles we talked about: