In our second episode we come face to face with an appliance that has a lot of people talking, the Instant Pot. We’ll talk about some resources for using the Instant Pot that might convince you to add the Instant Pot to your kitchen. Our recipes include a Chickpea Plov and two different types of noodles: Pasta a Limone and Pork and Peanut Dragon Noodles. We’ll discuss how both dishes, while different, are great weeknight choices.
This week we cooked...
Lemony, buttery, cheesy pasta dish. Comes together in just a little more time that it takes to boil pasta water. Serve with a crisp salad. (Arugula sounds nice here) Pick this for a night you'll be busy/had a long day. Make sure to add the adult beverage of your choice on the side. Or a fancy sparkling water. Do. You.
- Remember to reserve the pasta water, maybe even twice the amount called for in the recipe. You may need to add a bit more if things get too sticky.
- The recipe comes together quickly. Have all of your ingredients out and ready to go.
Extra- browned ground pork, soy sauce and quick-cooking noodles make this another good weeknight meal. The simple sauce is a good example of a few good flavors coming together for something delicious.
- We both used a dried, wavy-shaped, wheat noodle dubbed “Chinese noodles” in place of ramen. Worked perfectly.
- Make sure to brown your pork well- until you can smell the caramelization and see the pork bits have turned a rich color.
- If the sauce gets too tight (thick or sticky) add a little bit of water to loosen it up.
What's plov? According to Heidi Swanson from 101 Cookbooks , plov is an Uzbeki version of a rice pilaf meets casserole. Everything goes into the Instant Pot at once, lending itself for a meal when you need to get some things done around the house.
- Make sure to fully cover the rice- not doing so leads to crunchy, not cooked rice on the top layer. Not. Good. If that happens, just add more water to the pot until the rice is covered and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Check out the ingredients list before you start. Some of them are divisive! For instance, if you don’t like black olives, this might not be for you.
- Interested in the Instant Pot? Check out the Instant Pot community on Facebook.
Additional Links and Info from the Episode
Serious Eats: a good source for recipes, how to and more
4 O’Clock Energy Bites from 101 Cookbooks