It’s our first theme month ever at the Dinner Sisters and we’re planning it out. Meal planning, that is. While we’re de facto meal planners with each episode, the both of us haven’t been big meal planners in the past. But we’re jumping in with two feet and learning as we go. What’s Gaby Cooking?’s meal plan is a set of recipes to cook for the week, rather than a more rigid plan. We liked the flexibility and enjoyed choosing three recipes to cook this week. A power salad, a flatbread, and tacos were casual, fun meals that made dinnertime a breeze. (Not to mention all the bacon was a hit.)
Summer Grilled Chicken Power Salad, BLT Flatbread, and Perfect Fish Tacos.
We at the Dinner Sisters love a platter salad and this one is one of our new favorites. Blueberries, bacon, avocado, corn and chicken are tossed into a bed of basil leaves and fresh garden greens. Top it off with a bright lemon vinaigrette, and you’re in business.
- Use Gaby’s recipe increase/decrease function to make salad for a lot or a little.
- If you won’t eat all the salad at once, dress only the amount you’ll eat. Save the avocado for slicing fresh, as well.
- Make this with grilled tofu and no bacon for a vegetarian option.
Bacon, burrata cheese, tomatoes, and romaine lettuce, all decking out a crispy flatbread. Not only is this all the best parts of a BLT sandwich, but it comes together in no time. We haven’t had nearly enough BLT’s this year and this recipe scratched that itch.
- Using store bought dough is the way to go. Truly takes 20 minutes start to finish.
- We both thought this would be a great dinner party option.
Every time we make fish tacos, we wonder why we don’t do it more. Fish cooks quickly, is light but filling, and tacos seal the deal. In Gaby’s version, grilled fish is topped with a light cabbage and carrot slaw.
- Don’t skip the citrus finish. We both thought it added a noticeable zip.
- Kate used a bagged slaw mix with sliced onions very successfully.
- Cod works well, but any firm fleshed white fish is good here. Kate used haddock and would like to try some other sustainable options available in her area.
From the Smorgasbord:
We’re launching a Patreon! Join us at any level to support the podcast. But the best part- we are having a live cook along every month. We’ll cook from our latest listener cook along, chat, and have a great time meeting everyone. Can’t wait to see you all! You can find the Patreon site here. Thanks so much for your support now and in the future.