It's her birthday and she'll cook what she wants to! Kate is turning 40 this year and we're doing all her favorites to celebrate. Pizza is always on the top of the list, especially this cheesy and crunchy Grandma-style pizza. We also have a recipe Kate has been making for ages. Inspired by her time as a vegetarian, the enchiladas are a tasty use for all that zucchini. Last but certainly not least, what would a birthday party be without cake? Classic angel food, to be exact, dressed up with fresh strawberries and a creamy lemon pudding frosting. We're so happy to be celebrating with you. Join us for birthday party!
Grandma Pizza, Zucchini, Corn, and Black Bean Enchiladas, and Angel Food Cake with Lemon Pudding Frosting and Strawberries
Finding a favorite recipe that we haven’t featured was honestly harder than it seems. We’ve done so many recipes! But at the end of the day, pizza is right up there as one of Kate’s absolute favorites. This grandma-style pie has crispy edges, pillowy crust, and plenty of cheese. What’s not to love?
- Plan a bit ahead- the dough does take at least four hours in the fridge.
- Use a good-quality or thick homemade pizza sauce for best flavor.
- We liked dollops of sauce over the pizza rather than spread over the cheese.
Once upon a time, Kate was a vegetarian. While that time has passed, these enchiladas have remained. Full of summer flavor with zucchini and corn, with just enough substance with a bit of black beans and cheese. A recipe to use when you have a ton of beautiful summer produce but can’t eat one more salad.
- Amounts of vegetables are pretty forgiving and up for interpretation. Kate has made this with additional zucchini, diced tomatoes, and mushrooms.
- Tofu would be a great sub for the cheese if you would like to make these completely vegan. Non-dairy cheese on top, of course.
- Unfortunately, these would not freeze well. Halve the recipe instead.
Angel Food Cake with Lemon Pudding Frosting and Strawberries
Spring or summer birthdays in our house meant angel food cake with strawberries. Then, one fine sunny day, our neighbor brought over pudding frosting and our lives were changed. The lemon adds a little lift to the berries in the best way. We couldn’t let a birthday episode go by without this cake.
- If lemon isn’t your favorite, try other flavors of pudding.
- This is lovely to use as a frosting. Or serve it buffet-style with pretty bowls of sliced berries, frosting, and cake.
- No angel food cake pan? You can make the cake in two loaf pans.