Big Batch Seasoned Ground Beef, Instant Cream Cheese Shin Ramen,, and Japanese Curry Bricks
Sometimes you have to take care of your future self. You know, the one who’s had a long day and needs dinner on the table as soon as possible? Make one of these recipes and a curry, quick meat sauce, or ramen noodles are on the table before you know it. It may take some time now, but well worth it come that busy Tuesday.
Every so often we come across something that’s less of a recipe and more of an idea. Here’s all it is: take four pounds of ground beef, salt and pepper, brown it and freeze it in dinner-sized portions. Couple days or a couple weeks from now take one out and enjoy a stuffed pepper, some meat sauce, or whatever your heart desires.
- Four pounds isn’t a hard and fast rule. Kate made two pounds and it was just enough for her smaller household.
- Looking for ideas to use your ground beef? Try Epicurious’s ideas.
All we could talk about this recipe is how much flavor came packed in a little amount of mix. Blend up cream cheese with korean pepper flakes, garlic, pancetta, anchovies, and more for an in-your-face nearly instant broth.
- Dial up or down the Korean pepper flakes, depending on your love of spice.
- The mix will keep well in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Freeze individual portions on a silpat or parchment lined sheet pan. When solid, pile them into a freezer bag and take them out when needed.
Japanese Curry is a comfort food to the nth degree. If you haven’t tried it, imagine all the savory goodness of a brown gravy with the warming spices of a curry. Simmered with carrots, onions, potatoes, and chicken, these bricks will give you a warming dinner weeks after you make your delicious stockpile.
- Making the bricks takes a little over an hour. A good project for a cold winter Sunday afternoon.
- If you don’t have a mini loaf pan or a quarter sheet pan, a 9×13 pan will work just as well. Cut into 27 pieces, as directed.
From the Smorgasbord:
Susan Spungen’s newest book, Open Kitchen, is all about stress free preparation for gathering with family and friends. We received a free copy as part of our Ten Speed Ambassadors program and just had to share.
(Note- the link above is an Amazon Affiliate link for our show. Thanks in advance!)