Grilled Pizza Dough, Watermelon Cucumber Salad, and Blueberry Icebox Cake
Another ten episodes and we’re ready for a dinner party! Celebrating Episode 70, we’ve a grilled pizza recipe, a watermelon salad, and a lemon icebox cake for the whole family. The best part- this is a menu to get everyone involved. Little kids can help with the icebox cake while your grilling buddies get the pizzas going. The best part? You are here to celebrate another ten episodes with us.
Grilling pizza almost seems like magic- the dough flops on the grate and comes out crispy, a little smoky, and super delicious. We liked this dough for it’s shaping strategy and easy handling. Make the night before or that day for delicious pizza on your grill.
- Making pizza on the grill can be tricky. If you’re just getting the swing of things, maybe try a practice round before a gaggle of guests.
- These 5 Tips for Better Grilled Pizza were helpful.
- Avoid Betsy’s “little sticks of cheese” issues with this article from Serious Eats about the best mozzarella for pizza.
Summer means eating your bodyweight in watermelon, right? We’re loving this dinner party, platter style salad with watermelon, cucumbers, ricotta salata, and a sprinkling of pumpkin seeds. Bring it out while you’re grilling to give your guests a refreshing appetizer while the pizzas roll out.
- No ricotta salata? Substitute a mild (often domestic) feta.
- Break out your good olive oil for this salad. (Or use it as an excuse to buy some good olive oil…)
- We could take or leave the pumpkin seeds. If they aren’t your favorite, the salad would be lovely without them.
Everyone should make at least one icebox cake this summer. They’re a no-churn alternative to ice cream with the added bonus of cake. C’mon! This cake is pretty typical of the genre: whipped cream, layers of berry sauce, and graham crackers. Freeze, slice, and be grateful for the warm weather.
- Turns out, if you don’t have a whisk, a fork and some time will work to whip cream. Not recommended, but possible.
- Make this once according to the recipe and then let your mind wander. What about a layer of caramel sauce and cinnamon with the graham crackers? Or strawberry sauce and chocolate grahams? Rhubarb sauce and nilla wafers? So many choices, so few summer days!
From the Smorgasbord:
Nadia, from www.ckbk.com, talks about the July cookbook club: Summer Baking. If you’d like to join, make a recipe from one of their cookbooks and post on Instagram. Use the hashtag #ckbkclub and tag @ckbk. Her suggestions? Back in the Day’s Tomato Tart, Good to the Grain Ginger Peach Muffins, Floral Baker Rose and Strawberry Shortcake, and Cheese Obsession’s Plum Tartlet.
If you like what you see on ckbk, we’ve got a discount for you! Use DINNERSISTERS to get a 20% discount.
Our favorites from the last ten episodes…
Sandra had great tips for growing cilantro.
Try the Cardamom Rosewater Iced Tea as a popsicle! (Thanks @hpex!)
[spreaker type=player resource="episode_id=18765092" width="100%" height="200px" theme="light" playlist="false" playlist-continuous="false" autoplay="false" live-autoplay="false" chapters-image="true" episode-image-position="right" hide-logo="false" hide-likes="false" hide-comments="false" hide-sharing="false" hide-download="true"]