In this episode we jump in on the sheet pan dinner trend with a winning recipe for barbecue meatloaves. We also cook up some french bread pizzas and make a kale, apple and cheddar salad. Plus, we all make sure to watch the video about how to make chicken paillards and learn a technique that we’ll use for a long time to come.
This week we cooked…
While our mom was more likely to make her own french bread than buy french bread pizzas from the freezer section, this recipe still holds childhood appeal. (No joke, our mom still turns out at least a couple loaves a week. Maybe more. She’s a machine.) The toppings make this pizza, so go wild!
- Think of this recipe as a starting point…don’t need 12 pizzas? Halve or even divide it by thirds (add this to notes re: amounts). Don’t like a topping? Get rid of it and replace with something you like. Really, we saw this recipe as a reminder that weeknight meals can and should be fun.
- We thought this is a good recipe to have in your back pocket for large groups or when you are in a limited kitchen (ie: only have a toaster oven).
Sheet pan dinners are super convenient, which is why they are so popular. Everything on the pan? Good. Bake and eat! BBQ sauce and meatloaf are a delicious combo.
- Use the handy scale up/down arrows on her recipe to make this for two or eight people.
- Half sheet pans are super useful! Get yourself one ASAP (See link below)
The internet has many a kale salad. This is one of our favorites. The apple and cheddar are nice foils to the bitterness of the kale greens.The technique for chicken paillards is a good one to have in your back pocket. Pound out a chicken breast for even cooking.
- Deviate from the recipe a bit and massage in the oil first- then add the rest of the dressing. This helps soften the kale.
- Good news- this salad holds up over the course of a couple days. Perfect for lunch the next day.