Breakfast for dinner can be a welcome treat during the week and the Dinner Sisters have three recipes that go beyond scrambled eggs and toast. In the Smorgasboard, the Dinner Sisters welcome their first guest to the podcast who is an expert on all things Skinny Taste (and just happens to be a long-time Friend of the Sisters). We’ll dig into pancakes, frittata and even a breakfast pizza.
This week we cooked…
Pancakes are made little heartier and dinner-worthy with rye flour and bacon. Fresh blueberries and maple syrup add a sweet touch. Kids really liked the fun of bacon baked right into the pancakes!
- Rye flour isn’t in everyone’s pantry. Substitute whole wheat flour for a similar texture and taste or lighten up the recipe with all white flour.
- Slightly undercooking the bacon the first time will ensure it doesn’t burn when you cook it the second time with the pancakes.
Who can argue with pizza for dinner? Especially one with bacon and eggs on top. Skinnytaste uses her signature greek yogurt dough to lighten up a pizza night. The dough does not use yeast so this is a quick way to make pizza any day of the week.
- Make sure to use nonfat Greek yogurt. Other fat content or styles of yogurt may not have great results.
- Kate didn’t taste the tang of the yogurt but Betsy did- pick mild yogurt if you have a preference.
- This dough could be a flexible base for other toppings- like Margarita pizza with tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella.
Frittatas are one of those recipes that’s nice to have in your back pocket. Have some eggs in the fridge? Great! You’re ready for dinner. This is a basic frittata formula with some ideas to get you started.
- Print or save the infographic to have on hand for quick reference.
- This reheated well for breakfast or a packed lunch the next day.
- Make sure the ingredients are bite-sized. Bigger pieces in the frittata weren’t all that appetizing.